RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Ethnic and Vernacular Architecture
Architectural Design and Theory
1996-2001, Ph.D., School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
1989-1992, M. Arch., School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
1984-1989, B. Arch., School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
2008-Present, Associate Dean, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
2014-Present, Chairman, Academic Degree Evaluation Committee of School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
2014-Present, Member, Academic Degree Evaluation Committee of Tsinghua University
2014-Present, Director, Research Institute of Regional and National Architecture, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
2010-Present, Deputy Chief Architect, Architectural Design and Research Institute of Tsinghua University Co., Ltd. (THAD)
2004-Present, Professor, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
2004-Present, Founder and Chief Architect of Shan Jun Atelier
2001-2002, SPURS Research Fellow, MIT, USA
2000-2000, Visiting Scholar, University of Roma, Italy
1999-2004, Associate Professor, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
1992-1999, Lecturer, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
Vice Chairman of Faculty Teaching Committee; Member of Academic Committee and Faculty Appointment Committee
2011-Present, Executive Member, Council of Architectural Society of China (ASC), FASC
2009-Present, Deputy Executive General, Architects Branch of ASC
2012-Present, Executive Member, Committee of Evaluation of Architectural Education of ASC
2014-Present, Director, Regional Architecture Committee of ASC
2005-2009, Member, National Supervision Board of Architectural Education
2014-Present, Vice President, National Architecture Institute of China
2014-Present, Vice President, Traditional Architecture Branch of China Exploration & Design Association
2011-Present, Member, Architectural Art Committee of China Artists Association
2012-Present, Deputy Director, Tsinghua University-BIAD National Center of Engineering Practice and Education
2014-Present, Professor, Research Center of National Image Communication, Tsinghua University
2012-Present, Member, Academic Committee of Architectural Research and Design Center, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Member of Editorial Committee of Magazines including World Architecture, China Architectural Education, Community Design, Huazhong Architecture, Urban Environment Design, Architecture Technique, and Chinese and Overseas Architecture.
Architectural Design Theory
Introduction to Regional Architecture
Architectural Design Studio V/VI
Graduation Project and Comprehensive Thesis Advisory
Architecture and National Dignity
Tsinghua-MIT Beijing Joint Design Studio
SUPERVISION OF GRADUATE AND POSTDOCTORAL STUDENTS
Ph.D. students: over 20 (as primary advisor)
M.A. students: over 70 (including overseas students)
01. National Natural Science Fund: Research on the Association of Architectural Regionality and Ethnicity in Minority Settlements. 2010-2012. Director.
02. National Natural Science Fund: Research on the Design Mode and Strategies of Environmental Adaptability Based on Architectural Regionality. 2014-2017. Director.
03. Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education, Ministry of Education: Research on the Impact Model of Spatial Morphology of Mixed Minority Settlements Based on Architectural Composition Analysis. 2013-2015. Director.
04. Special Research Fund for Authors of National Excellent Doctoral Dissertation Award, Ministry of Education: Research on the Sustainability of Contemporary Regional Architectural Culture in China and Study of Social Culture of Urban Spaces. 2006-2010. Director.
05. Special Research Fund (Sub-Project) of Chinese Academy of Engineering: Research on the Current Status and Development of Chinese Contemporary Architectural Design. 2010-2012. Co-director.
06. Research Fund of Beijing Municipal Commission of Urban Planning and Construction: Research on Rural Dwellings in the Suburban Areas of Beijing. 2004. Director
07. Research Fund (Sub-Project) of Architectural Professional Degree and Graduate Education Committee, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development: Revision of Architectural Professional Program and Establishment of Core Curriculum and Teaching Objectives. 2013-2014. Main Participant.
01. National Exhibition and Convention Center (co-direct). 2011-2015, Competition First Prize, Completed. Shanghai
02. Emperor of Ming Dynasty Cultural Museum. 2007-2012, Completed. Zhongxiang
03. Museum of Traditional Mongolian Dancing. 2013-2015, Completed. Tongliao
04. Museum of Traditional Mongolian Medicine. 2013-2015, Completed. Tongliao
05. Jinzhong Municipal Museum. 2013-2016, Under Construction. Jinzhong
06. Jinzhong Municipal Library. 2013-2016, Under Construction. Jinzhong
07. Jinzhong Science and Technology Museum. 2013-2016, Under Construction. Jinzhong
08. The Old Brick Kiln Site Museum. 2006-2008, Completed. Wuxi
09. Office Building of Chinese Ministry of Commerce in Indonesia. 2008-2014, Completed. Jakarta, Indonesia
10. Spring and Autumn Gateway. 2009-2010, Completed. Zibo
11. Shan Shui House. 2014- , Under Construction. Mount Lu, Jiujiang
12. Zhongxiang Culture and Sports Center. 2007-2010, Completed. Zhongxiang
13. Tianshui No.1 Middle School, Mount Maiji Campus. 2014-2016, Under Construction. Tianshui
14. Tianshui Runtian School. 2015-. Tianshui
15. Student Center of Northeastern University Hunnan Campus. 2012-2015, Completed. Shenyang
16. Qi Yue Kindergarten Phase 1/ Phase 2. 2011-2015, Completed. Zibo
17. Qi Yun Kindergarten (Collaborative Design). 2011-2015, Under Construction. Zibo
18. Hongjia Kindergarten and Primary School. 2009-2013, Completed. Zibo
19. Qi Yue Residential Community. 2010-2014, Completed. Zibo
20. Commercial Office Complex of Torch Plaza. 2012-2015, Completed. Zibo
21. Nursing Home for the Aging Muslims in Huhhot. 1999-2003, Completed. Huhhot
22. Campus of Sichuan Commercial College. 2005-2008, Completed. Chengdu
23. Tri-Pavilion Yard. 2008-2014, Under Construction. Zibo
24. Mulan No.7: Mulan Paddock Group Design. 2011-. Chengde
25. Ordos 20+10 Project: plot P24 + plot T22. 2010-. Ordos
26. Courtyard House. 2009-. Zibo
27. Railway Pavilion of 2010 Shanghai EXPO. 2008, Competition. Shanghai
28. Paper-Cut Museum in Yuxian County. 2007. Zhangjiakou
29. Taizhou City Planning Gallery. 2003. Taizhou
30. Ziyang Foreign Languages School. 2003-2005, Completed. Ziyang
31. Urban Design and Tibetan Cultural Preservation and Development Planning of Qia Bu Qia, Qinghai. 2006-2007, Completed. Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Hainan
32. Preservation, Urban Revitalization Study and Urban Design of Historical District Dashilar, Beijing (Collaborative Design). 2004-2006, Completed. Beijing
2014, The 6th Chinese Architectural Education Award, Architectural Society of China (ASC)
2014, Gold Medal, The 8th Architectural Design Award, ASC
2014, The Chicago Athenaeum International Architecture Award
2014, World Architecture Community Award
2013, 1st Prize, National Architecture Award of Excellence, China Exploration & Design Association
2013, 1st Prize, Excellent Project Design Award, Ministry of Education
2013, Excellent Design Award, the 19th Beijing Urban Design Exhibition
2012, National Housing Pilot Project, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development
2011, Gold Medal, Architectural Design Award of Human Settlements, ASC
2011, Gold Medal, Environmental and Urban Design Award of Human Settlements, ASC
2009, Top Ten Emerging Architects, Research Institute of Chinese Architectural Culture
2009, Grand Architectural Creation Award, ASC
2006, The 4th Architectural Design Award, ASC
2014, Outstanding Teaching Achievement Award, Tsinghua University
2014, Award of Excellent Undergraduate Courses, Tsinghua University
2013, Outstanding Teaching Achievement Award, Beijing Municipal Commission of Education
2013, Award of Excellent Graduate Courses, Tsinghua University (Architecture and National Dignity)
2012, Outstanding Teaching Achievement Award, Tsinghua University
2008, National Award of Excellent Courses (Architectural Design Studio), Ministry of Education
2004, Outstanding Teacher Award, Tsinghua University
2004, The 13th Chinese National Book Prize (Translation Oriental Architecture), The Publishers Association of China
2004, National Excellent Doctoral Dissertation, Ministry of Education
2014, XXV International Union of Architects World Congress Exhibition, Durban, South Africa
2014, The City and the World - International Architecture Awards 2014 Exhibition, Istanbul/ Chicago Biennale, Touring Exhibition in Europe
2014, ZAO/ Architecture China, Exhibition for Celebration of 50 years of Diplomatic Relationship between France and China, Lyon, France
2012, From Beijing to London: Contemporary Chinese Architecture Exhibition, the Building Center, London, UK
2012, Architecture China -The 100 Contemporary Projects, Reiss-Engelhorn Museum (REM), Mannheim, Germany
2011, VERSO EST. Chinese Architectural Landscape Exhibition, Museum of Art for the XXI Century (MAXXI), Roma, Italy
2010, Chinese Regional Architecture in a Post-Experimental Age: 16 Chinese Contemporary Architects, Germany/ Czech Republic
2008, Red Beijing: Hong Kong-Shenzhen Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism, Hong Kong, China
2006, Soft New York: The 1st Architectural Academy Exhibition of La Biennale Di Veneza, Venice, Italy
 Shan Jun. 2010. Regionality of Architecture and Cities - A Research on Regional Architecture with Human Settlements Concept. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press.
 Shan Jun, editor-in-chief. 2014-2016. Serial Researches on Regional Architecture. (10 volumes) Beijing: Tsinghua University Press.
 Zhang Jie, Shan Jun (Tsinghua), Jan Wampler, Dennis Frenchman (MIT). 2009. Twenty Years of Student Work of Tsinghua-MIT Beijing Joint Urban Design Studio. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press.
 Zhu Wenyi, Wang Lu, Shan Jun, Zhang Yue, etc. 2007. SOFT New York - 2006 Venice Biennale, International Student Workshop, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press.
 Shan Jun, Zhao Yan. 2000. Translation of ‘Oriental Architecture’. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press.
 Shan Jun, Zhang Yue. 2004. Foodscape Beijing. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press.
 Cheng Xiaoqing, Shan Jun, Zhang Yue, Wei Shiyu, etc. 2015. TyPeking. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press.
 Xu Weiguo, Shan Jun, etc. 2007. Studio Works, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press.
ARTICLES / CHAPTERS
 Wu Liangyong, Li Dexiang, Zhu Wenyi, Shan Jun. “Restriction and Creation – Designing the New Campus of Central Academy of Fine Arts and its Affiliated School.” Architectural Journal 1996(05).
 Shan Jun. “Root and Architectural Regionality – Inspiration from ‘ROOTS - Innovation and Tradition in Asian Architecture Today’ Exhibition.” Architectural Journal 1996(10).
 Shan Jun. “On Regional Identity: Study of Three Aga-khan Award Projects.” Architect 1997(02).
 Shan Jun, translator. “Contemporary Vernacular: An Architectural View of the Pluralistic World.” World Architecture 1998(01).
 Shan Jun. “Contemporary Vernacular Architecture: Towards Grandeur - International Seminar on Contemporary Vernacular - Modernizing Architectural Traditions 1997.” Huazhong Architecture. 1998(16).
 Shan Jun. “Three Questions on Architectural Culture – Rethinking on ‘Hua and Yi’, ‘Ti and Yong’, ‘Tong and Yi’ in China.” Huazhong Architecture 1998(02).
 Wu Liangyong, Shan Jun, Zhang Yue, Ni Feng. “Guiding Architectural Design through Urban Design Perspectives, and Promoting Urban Design through Architectural Design Thinkings.” Proceedings of the 1998 Urban Design Academic Conference. The Urban Planning Society of China. Shenzhen 1998(08).
 Ken Yeang, author; Shan Jun, translator. “Designing and Planning the Green Skyscraper.” World Architecture 1999(02).
 Shan Jun. “Learning from Indian Experience: The Conception and Form of Ancient Indian Architecture.” World Architecture 1999(08).
 Shan Jun, Wang Lu. “Open and Mix: His Majesty Akbar and Fatehpur Sikri.” World Architecture 1999(08).
 Shan Jun. “Between Remembering and Forgetting: Meditation in front of Tjibaou Cultural Center.” World Architecture 2000(09).
 Shan Jun. “’Visible’ and ‘Invisible’.” World Architecture 2000(12).
 Shan Jun. “Considerations Given to the Research of Regional Character of Architecture.” Architectural Journal 2000(11).
 Shan Jun. “Design for the Senior Home in the Hui Ethnic Group District in Hohhot.” Architectural Journal 2000(11).
 Shan Jun. “Urban and Rural Residents.” Architectural Journal 2001(11).
 Gao Yihan, Shan Jun. “Tentative Study on Residents’ Self-Building Behavior in Small-Scale Transformation of Beijing Old City.” Community Design 2004(02).
 Shan Jun, Wang Lu. “Between Utopia and Reality: On Shu He Old Town Renewal.” Building Review 2004(07).
 Shan Jun. “Small is Beautiful.” World Architecture 2004(11).
 Shan Jun, Wang Xinzheng. “Contemporary Interpretation of Traditional Vernacular Architecture: Case Study on Trulli Houses in Alberobello.” World Architecture 2004(12).
 Wang Zhigang, Shan Jun. “The Complexity in Architecture: Analyzing Works of Samuel Mockbee and the Rural Studio.” World Architecture 2004(12).
 Zhang Jie, Shan Jun. “City on the Trail.” World Architecture 2005(03).
 Shan Jun, Zhang Yue. “Foodscape Beijing – Die stadtische Dimension der chinesischen Esskultur.” StadtBauwelt 2005(03).
 Zhu Wenyi, Shan Jun, Cheng Xiaoqing. “The Architectural Education of Tsinghua University under the Guidance of the Science of Human Settlements.” Proceedings of 2007 International Conference on Architectural Education and Annual Conference of National Departments of Architecture. 2007(09).
 Cheng Xiaoxi, Shan Jun. “Logical Concept of Regional Urban Design and Research: A Case Study on Qia Pu Qia City Urban Planning, Qinghai.” 2007 Exposition of Chinese Ethnic and Regional Architecture and Planning Achievement, 2007 Cultural Sustainability Forum of Ethnic and Regional Architecture, Suzhou 2007(11).
 Shan Jun, Zhang Yue, etc. “Learning From Film: Notes of an Architectural and Urban Design Studio of ‘Film Beijing’.” New Architecture 2008(01).
 Shan Jun, Cheng Xiaoxi. “Metro Beijing - Three Topics.” Urbanism and Architecture 2009(01).
 Shan Jun. “Travel Notes of Japan.” Urban Environment Design 2009(11).
 Wu Yan, Shan Jun. “Study of Spatial Language of Regional Ethnic Architecture: A Case Study of Dwellings in Dali, Yunnan.” Ethnic Group. Settlements. Ethnic Architecture: Proceedings of the 16th International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences World Congress. Yunnan University Press, 2009(12).
 Shan Jun, Tie Lei. “In Between: Two Approaches to Express Locality of Architecture.” World Architecture 2010(08).
 Shan Jun, Wu Yan. “Regional Response and Nationality’s Passing on: Investigation and Consideration on Tibetan Dwellings in Different Region of Northwest Yunnan.” Architectural Journal 2010(08).
 Shan Jun, Tie Lei. “Between Spring and Autumn: the Spring and Autumn Gateway”. Architectural Journal 2010(11).
 Luo Jianping, Shan Jun. “’Heaven-Earth-Sovereign-Parent-Teacher’ Belief: ‘Etiquette’ and ‘Self-Organization Principles’ of the Tunpu Settlement.” New Architecture 2011(04).
 Shan Jun, Luo Jianping. “Regional Response of Defensive Architecture: A Case Study on Anshun Tunpu.” Architectural Journal 2011(11).
 Shan Jun, Tie Lei. “A Research on Spatial Schema of Tibetan Folk Residence in Yunnan Province.” Community Design 2011(12).
 Shan Jun, Wu Yan. “Field Research on Minority Settlements at Nujiang, Yunnan - Studying of Architectures in Different Minority Settlements.” Community Design 2012(01).
 Shan Jun, Tie Lei. “Place • Technology • Regenerative Architecture - A Outline of Steve Moore’s Nonmodern Regionalism.” Architecture and Culture 2012(03).
 Shan Jun, Wu Yan, Feng Xiaobo. “Contrast Study on Catholic Church in Minority Settlements at Remote Areas in the Northwest of Yunnan.” Huazhong Architecture 2012(06).
 Tie Lei, Shan Jun. “A Resistance to ‘Resistance’: Keith Eggener’s Critique of Critical Regionalism.” World Architecture 2012(05).
 Shan Jun, Lu Xiangdong, etc. “In Scenery: Design for Hubei Zhongxiang City Museum and Ming Dynasty Emperor Cultural Museum.” Architectural Journal 2012(11). Front Cover.
 Wu Yan, Shan Jun. “Protection, Renovation, and Reuse of the Ethnic Minorities’ Dwellings in Northwestern Yunnan: A Case Study on Bingzhongluo.” Eco-City and Green Building 2013(02
 Shan Jun, Wang Lu. “In Between: About the Design of the Ming Dynasty Emperors’ Museum in Zhongxiang, Hubei.” Time+Architecture 2013(01).
 Luo Jing, Shan Jun. “Development of Conservation for Historic Site in Taiwan and Local Consciousness.” Architectural Journal 2013(04).
 Shan Jun, Zhou Ting. “Analysis on the Setting of Historic Cultural Villages and Towns Under Tourism Development.” Huazhong Architecture 2013(09).
 Wu Yan, Shan Jun. “Association Study on Regionality and Ethnicity of Buildings in the Minority Settlements of Northwest Yunnan.” Architectural Journal 2013(05).
 Zhou Ting, Shan Jun. “Striking the Perception: Analysis of the Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2012, London.” World Architecture 2013(06).
 Shan Jun, Wu Yan. “Study on the Eco Low-tech Strategy of Tibetan Dwellings in Yunnan.” South Architecture 2013(03).
 Shan Jun, Zhou Ting, Yang Liuqing. “Field Research and Analysis on Transformation of Tujia Vernacular Dwellings in Yongshun, Xiangxi.” Community Design 2014(02).
 Shan Jun. “New Educational Mode for Postgraduates Majoring in Professional Degrees in China – Exploration of Professional Degree Training by the School of Architecture, Tsinghua University.” Yunnan Architecture 2014(01).
 Shan Jun. “Inspiration from Open-ended ‘Group Design Studio’.” World Architecture 2014(07).
 Zhuang Weimin, Shan Jun, Xu Weiguo. “Open-ended Design Teaching and Its Inspiration.” Proceedings of 2014 National Architecture Conference of Higher Educational Institutions 2014  Zhou Ting, Shan Jun, Zhang Bo. “The Transformation of Tujia Vernacular Dwellings in Laosicheng, Yongshun.” Architectural Journal 2015(02).
 Shan Jun, Liu Yulong, Tie Lei, Zhao Tong. “The Duality of Regionality in an Enclave: On the Design of the Office Building of Chinese Ministry of Commerce in Indonesia.” Architectural Journal 2015(03).
 Zhuang Weimin, Shan Jun, Cheng Xiaoqing, Zhong Ge. “Exploring the Co-founding Mode of Tsinghua University- BIAD National Center of Engineering Practice and Education under Various Cooperating Mechanism.” Proceedings of the 24th education symposium of Tsinghua University, Tsinghua University Press, 2015(03)