RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Sustainable Architectural and Urban Studies,
Combination of Modern Design and Vernacular Architecture in China
Architecture Bachelor, Tsinghua Univ., 1988-1993
Architecture Master, Tsinghua Univ., 1988-1993
PhD, Tsinghua Univ., 1993-1998
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Germany, Visiting Scholar,2003-2004, at the institute" Building Technology“, chaired by Prof. Dr. Thomas Herzog
2008-present, Professor, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
2002-2008, Associate Professor, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
2016, CIFI zero-energy sustainable demonstrated building
2015, Sustainable Design of the THE-STUDIO in Guian District, accomplished
2012, Reconstruction of the complex for Service Centre of Tsinghua University, will be accomplished in 2014, accomplished
2012, Office building for Yilida Corporation in Taizhou, Zhejiang, which reaches to 3star of Evaluation Standard for Green Building of China (Planed to be constructed)
2012, Demo Building on “Zero Energy and Zero Carbon” -- Water Bird Exhibition Centre for Beijing Zoo, accomplished and under testing
2009, Landscape for the Water Environment Lab of Tsinghua University, accomplished
2009, The Rural Houses for Farmers in Xifeng, Guizhou, accomplished
2008, Design and research of Rural Houses for the Inhabitants reconstruction after the “512 Earthquake”, commissioned research
2008, Middle School-Primary School-Kindergarten-Clinic for Mianzhu, Sichuan (Post-disaster Reconstruction Project after the 512 Earthquake), accomplished
2008-2009, Ecological City Planning for Sino-Singapore Ecological Science Park
2007, Office and Educational Building for Nuclear Power Station in Yantai, Shandong (Competition winner)
2005-2006, Municipal Centre for Changshu, Jiangsu (Competition winner)
2004-2007, Office Building for Institute for Surface Engineering in Deyang, Sichuan, accomplished
2001-2004, Municipal Library in Changshu, accomplished
2000, Campus Design for No. 1 Middle School in Zhaoyuan, Shandong Province, accomplished
1995-1999, Eco-House for Farmer in Zhangjiagang, accomplished, with doctoral thesis research on Sustainable Architectural and Urban Studies, Building Technology, Combination of Modern Design and Vernacular Architecture in China
PRIMARY RESEARCH PROJECTS
2017-2020, ,Integrated design strategy for prefabricated Nearly Net Zero Building oriented to sustainable building performance, as an general research supported by National Science Fund, P. R. China
2012-2015, Research on the strategy of sustainable design for mass public buildings, as an important research supported by National Science Fund, P. R. China
2012-2016, Research on the design strategy for rural houses in the Hot-summer and Cold-winter climate region considering of the building performances, as a general research supported by National Science Fund, P. R. China
2012-2014, Research of the ecological strategy and technology for the inhabitant environment in the Subtropical, with collaboration ofand supported by Subtropical State Key Laboratory in South China University of Technology
2010-2013, Research on the standard system of evaluation and the methodology of the comprehensive assessment for the Green Buildings
2008-2010, Rural Houses for the Inhabitants after the “512 Earthquake”, supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology, P. R. China
Principles of Building Technology
Principles for Sustainable Design Strategy
Practicum in Architectural Practice
Theory and Design of Green Building
Environment Design of Architectural Physics
2010 ~ Joint master's MEGA project with the architectural institute of Aarhus, Denmark, Chinese director
2007 Joint Design Studio for Eco-School in Shenyang with University of Virginia, University of Oregon and Tongji University.
2006 Revitalization of the Capital Iron and Steel Company with TU Berlin
HONORS AND AWARDS
2016, Nearly Zero Energy Building of the Gui'an Innovation Park, Silver prize in public building of The ASC Architecture Design Award.
2016, Central Canteen of Tsinghua University, Silver prize in public building of The ASC Architecture Design Award.
2016, Central Canteen of Tsinghua University, shortlist of WA City Regeneration Award.
2016, Central Canteen of Tsinghua University, shortlist of The ARCASIA Award for Architecture.
2015, Primary School of Tumen (Deyang,Mianzhu,Sichuan Province)，excellent works of the 1st Rural Architecture organized by the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, the Second Award
2015, Kindergarten of Tumen (Deyang,Mianzhu,Sichuan Province)，excellent works of the 1st Rural Architecture organized by the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, the Second Award
2014, Honorable Mention Prize of WA Design Experiment Award, the Project of Waterfowl Pavilion of Beijing Zoo.
2012, Editor of <Green design standard of civil buildings>， which wins the Second Prize of competition of HUAXIA science and technology.
2010, the Second Class Award of Provincial Level for Project of Middle School-Primary School-Kindergarten-Clinic for Mianzhu, Sichuan
2008, the Fifth Distinguished Award for Architecture by the Architectural Society of China
2006, the Sixth Distinguished Award for Young Architect by the Architectural Society of China
2006, the Fourth Distinguished Award for Architecture by the Architectural Society of China
2005, Second Prize for the Excellent Architecture Design by the Ministry of Construction, P.R.China
2005, First Prize for the Excellent Architecture Design by the Ministry of Education, P. R. China
2004, WA Prize, First Prize
2002, Green Housing Design Competition, First Place
2000, Excellent Ph.D Dissertation in Tsinghua University
1999, Green Residential Design Competition, First Prize
1996, First Prize of Excellent Teaching Products, Excellent Teacher Group Prize, Tsinghua University
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
School of Architecture, Tsinghua University:
Deputy Director of Department of Building Science & Technology;
Director of Institute Architecture and Technology;
Deputy Director of Center of Architectural Experiment and Education;
Director of the Committee of Architectural Technology, National Steering Committee of Architectural Education
Director of the Branch of Architects, Architectural Society of China
Vice Director and Secretary-general of the branch committee of Building Technology, Branch of Architects, Architectural Society of China
Director of the Cold Region Architecture Academic Committee of Architectural Society of China
Secretary-General of the Group for Green Building’s Theoretical and Practical, Committee of China Green Building
Deputy Editor for Journal Eco-city and Green Building
Vice Chief Architect of THCA Architectural Design & Consulting Institute
National First-Class Certified Architect, China
1. Sun Jingfen, Lin Zhenghao, Song Yehao, Zhu Yan, Chen Xiaojuan. Study on Sustainable Design of THE-STUDlO in Guian District Based on BREEAM Assessment[J]. South Architecture, 2016(3):21-26
2. Song Yehao, Sun Jingfen, Chen Xiaojuan, Lin Zhenghao, Han Dongchen. The Practice of Sustainable Architecture Rooted in Local Area——A Case Study of Tsinghua ECO Studio[J]. City and House, 2016,23(5)
3. Song Yehao, Southern Student Refectory at Tsinghua University-Sustainable practice on education architecture[J]. Architecture Technique, 2016(11)
4. Song Yehao, Student Center in Tsinghua University[J], World Architecture, 2015(7):114-119
5. Song Yehao, Sun Jingfen, Xie Dan, Chen Xiaojuan. Reflections on Sustainable Architecture On the Design of Southern Student Refectory at Tsinghua University [J], Architectural Journal, 2016(11)
6. Yehao Song, Junjie Li*, Jialiang Wang, Shimeng Hao, Ning Zhu, Zhenghao Lin. Multi-criteria approach to passive space design in buildings: Impact of courtyard spaces on public buildings in cold climates [J]. Building and environment. 2015;89(07): 295-307（SCI）
7. Junjie Li, Yehao Song*, Shuai lv, Qingguo Wang. Impact evaluation of indoor environmental performance of animate space in buildings. Building and environment. 94 (2015) 353-370.（SCI）
8. Song Yehao,Sun Jingfen. Towards a Net Zero Energy Building Collaboration-based Sustainable Design and Practice in the Waterfowl Pavilion,Beijing.Time Architecture 2014,(5),P92-99.
9. Yehao Song, Shimeng Hao, Jialiang Wang, Ning Zhu, Junjie Li. Thermographic Study on Thermal Performance of Rural Houses in Southwest China. 30Th International PLEA Conference, Sustainable Habitat for Developing Societies.2014,P79.
10. Junjie Li, Yehao Song*, Qingguo Wang. Experimental verification and pair-group analysis study of passive space design strategies. 4th International Conference on Civil, Architecture and Hydrauic Engineering (CAHE’2015), (EI index)China. 2015, 06
11. Yehao Song, Junjie Li, Ning Zhu, Jialiang Wang, Zhenghao Lin. Fieldwork Test Research of The Impact on Building Physical Environment on Six Types of Atrium Space in Cold Climates. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology. Vol.21 No.4 Aug 2014:84-90.
12. Yehao Song, Junjie Li, Ning Zhu, Jialiang Wang, Shimeng Hao. Research on Two Types of Buffer Zone Impact on Surrounding Office Space Environment in Winter in Cold Climate Zone—a Fieldwork in Architectural Design Institute Building of Tsinghua University, Beijing. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology. No.5 Aug 2014:33-39
13. Shimeng Hao, Yehao Song, Gui Zhang, Zhenghao Lin, Ning Zhu, Jialiang Wang. Design Strategies on Heat Recovery of Cooking Stove in Rural Houses of China. 30Th International PLEA Conference, Sustainable Habitat for Developing Societies.2014,P68.
14. Jianhua Ding, Yehao Song, Tianyu Xi. Study on the Optimization for Design of Indoor Natural Ventilation and Lighting Based on Passive Design Measurements. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology. Vol.21 No.4 Aug 2014:24-29.
15. Shimeng Hao , Yehao Song, Junjie Li, Ning Zhu. Field Study on Indoor Thermal and Luminous Environment in Winter of Vernacular Houses in Northern Hebei Province of China. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology. Vol.21 No.4 Aug 2014:77-83.
16. Yuan Li, Yehao Song, Akashi Mochida, Tsubasa Okaze. WRF Environment Assessment in Guangzhou City with an Extracted Land-use Map from the Remote Sensing Data in 2000 as an Example. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology. No.5 Aug 2014:26-32
17. Kun Li, Jian Kang, Yehao Song, Dong Jiang. Analysis of Heat Environment Indexes Using Integrated Remote Sensing and Site Measurement Techniques in a Community. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology. No.5 Aug 2014:1-9
18. Song yehao, Wang jialiang, Zhu ning. Pondering over the passive design strategy for native green buildings of China [J]. Architectural Journal, 2013 (7): 94-99.
19. Song yehao. A constructive critique of china's green architectural design and research [J], New Architecture, 2013, 4:004.
20. Yehao Song, Julian (Jialiang) Wang, Shimeng Hao, Yilin Song. The Energy-related Impacts of Social Factors of Rural Houses in Southwest China. 2013 ISES Solar World Congress, 2013/11/3-2013/11/7, Cancun, 2013/11/3.
21. Yehao Song, Jingfen Sun, Junjie Li, Dan Xie. Towards Net Zero Energy Building: Collaboration-based Sustainable Design and Practice of the Beijing Waterfowl Pavilion. 2013 ISES Solar World Congress,2013/11/3-2013/11/7, Cancun, 2013/11/3.
22. SONG Yehao, LIN Borong, WU Bo. Green vs. Digital: Design Record of a Hotel in the Kubqi Desert, Inner Mongolia[J]. Architecture Technique,2011,(Z1).
23. SONG Yehao. Tumen Elementary School and Kindergarten[J]. Community Design,2011,(2).
24. SONG Yehao. Changshu City Library[J]. Community Design,2011,(2).
25. SONG Yehao, SUN Jingfen. Ornament and Architecture on Adolf Krischanitz’s Design[J]. World Architecture,2011,(7).
26. SONG Yehao. Some Thoughts about Green Buildings’ Evaluation Standards[J]. World Environment,2011,(5).
27. YUAN Bin,SONGYehao, LIN Borong, Zhang Hong. Sustainable architecture policy evaluation in Australia [J]. Construction Science and Technology,2011,(6).
28. SUN Yimin, SONG Yehao. Thinking of the Current Development of Large Public Buildings in China[J]. Huazhong Architecture,2011,(4).
29. LI Yuan, SONG Yehao. Brief Introduction of Solar Decathlon(SD)[J].Architecture Technique,2011,(Z5).
30. HAO Shimeng, SONG Yehao, ZHANG Wei. FIELD STUDY OF SUMMER THERMAL ENVIRONMENT OF RURAL HOUSE IN THE SOUTHEAST OF CHONGQING[J]. Eco-city and Green Building,2011,(4).
31. JIANG Yong, TERRECE Curry, SONG Yehao, WANG Lina. From Design to Construction: Design/Construction Studio at Tsinghua University[J]. New Architecture,2011,(4).
32. SONG Yehao, LIU Quan, PAN Hong. Counterparts Aided Reconstruction after Wenchuan Earthquake Report:Taking Reconstruction of Kindergarten & Primary School in Tumen Town[J]. World Architecture,2010,(6).
33. SONG Yehao. slow Architecture[J]. Chinese and Overseas Architecture,2010,(11).
34. LI Kun, SONG Yehao.Integrate Analysis of Green Community Indices In Three Assessment Systems [J]. World Architecture,2010,(8).
35. LI Kun, SONG Yehao. Building the Environmental Friendly Homes Analysis of "Code for Sustainable Homes" in Britain[J]. Eco-city and Green Building,2010,(1).
36. LV Yingying, SONG Yehao, WU Bo. Test on Energy Saving of Western New City Service Center in Tianjin[J]. Eco-city and Green Building,2010,(3).
37. Song YeHao,Grundschule in Tumen, Changshu/VR China.Bauwelt 48,2009.
38. Song Yehao, Deng Xiangyu, Integration of the Ethos of the Times and South Jiangsu Culture: Review of the Design for Changshu City Library, Architectural Journal, 2008-10-20, p77-80, CN 11-1930/TU
39. Song Yehao, Zhang Yue, Zhu Ning, Consideration and Practice of Speedy Design Teaching, Architectural Journal, 2008-7-20, p78-80, CN 11-1930/TU
40. Song Yehao, Jiang Yong, Lin Borong, Zhang Xin, Yan Xiang, Explanation of National Swimming Center the "Water Cube" from Technical Points of View, Times Architecture, 2008-7-18, p52-61, CN 31-1359/TU
41. Song Yehao, Lin Borong, Jiang Yong, Green versus Architecture, Times Architecture, 2008-3-18, p6-11, CN 31-1359/TU
42. Song Yehao, Zhang Lingyun, Interpreting Solar Energy Housing -A Brief Introduction of the Competition Project by Thomas Herzog in Arhus, Denmark, Urbanism & Architecture, 2008-01-05, p26-27, ISBN 90-78658-01-0
43. Song Yehao, Zhang Lingyun, Science Guides Architectural Creation: Brief Review of Hannover Expo-dome by Thomas Herzog, Architectural Journal, 2007-03-20, p96-99, CN 11-1930/TU
44. Qin Youguo, Song Yehao, Lin Borong, On Founding the Evaluation System of Green Building in China, Real Estate Information of China, 2007-5, p40-43, CN 11-2586/F
45. Song Yehao, Stadtbuecherei in Changshu, Bauwelt,2005,96(18/05)30-31
46. Song Yehao, The Municipal Library in Changshu City, World Architecture, 2005-01-18, 2005, 175(01):p117-122, CN 11-1847/TU
47. Song Yehao, Thomas Herzog's integrated Planning in the Architectural Design, World Architecture, 2004-09-18, 2004, 171(9):p69-70, CN 11-1847/TU
48. Zhang Lingyun, Song Yehao, Architectural Technologies of Thomas Herzog, Architectural Creation, 2004-01-20, vol.54, p41-47, CN 11-3161/TU
49. Chang Zhigang, Song Yehao, Ran Maoyu, What does the Surface Tissue Mean to a Building, Architectural Journal, 2003-10-20, p43-46, CN 11-1930/TU
And more than 30 articles published in the core magazines and conferences till 2008, some of them on worldwide journals, for example: “Holistic Design Thinking in Sustainable Architecture Design”, “Municipal Library in Changshu” (Architectural World Germany/StadtBauwelt) etc.
Selected conference proceedings
1. Song Yehao, An energy-efficient prefabricated double-skin façade oriented to multi-system integration(2016). 11th Conference on Advanced Building Skins, 10-11 October 2016, Bern, Switzerland: Advanced Building Skins GmbH
2. Song Yehao, Optimization of Skin Oriented to Multi-system Integration in Design and Construction Phases by BIM Technologies(2016). 11th Conference on Advanced Building Skins, 10-11 October 2016, Bern, Switzerland: Advanced Building Skins GmbH
3. Song Yehao, Towards Net Zero Energy Building: Collaboration-based Sustainable Design and Practice of the Beijing Waterfowl Pavilion. The ISES Solar World Congress 2013.
4. Song Yehao, WANG Jialiang, A Comparative Investigation on Sustainable Strategies of Vernacular Buildings and Modern Buildings in Southwest China, PLEA, 2012, Lima, Peru.
5. Song Yehao, Condition vs. Creation: An Educational Sample on Sustainable Architectural Design Studio integrating Design with Construction in Grade 3, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, Proceeding of 2007 International Conference on Architectural Education, 2007-9-17, p423-425
6. Song Yehao, Reflection on the Modernity and Neo-vernacular Architecture in the Yangtze River Delta in China, International Forum on Urbanism 2006 in Beijing, 2006-10-20, p475-478, ISBN 978-7-112-09522-3
7. Song Yehao, A holistic design method for the environment-conscious design, Nanjing International Forum on Architectural Education, 2003-12-12, p128
1. Song Yehao. (2000). Design with Nature: Ecological architectural design research. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press.
2. Song Yehao. 2001, Architecture and the Environment
3. Song Yehao, Huo Xiaowei, Hu Lin. (2005). The master architect series: Philip Cox. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press.
4. Song Yehao, Zhou Yupeng.(2003). Sustainable Architecture. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press.
5. Hou Zhenghua, Song Yehao, (2001). The master architect series: T.R Hamzah & Yeang. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press.